Tuesday, July 20, 2010

A girl and her sippy cup

When Evie was about 6 months old, I started her on a sippy cup. It was one of those soft-spouted cups by Nuby. So at 14 months she self weaned and switched seamlessly to using her sippy cup only. Every night since then, she had to have her "juice & binky dot" to go to sleep. She would climb into her bed with them and go to sleep; it was heaven! She has always been such a creature of habit and she has always had her little bedtime ritual. And she would only drink out of those Nuby cups.
Once Evie turned 3, I started to worry that she was really using her sippy cup as a bottle/paci. My mom kept assuring me that it was more socially acceptable for her to use a sippy cup rather than a bottle or pacifier. And still, it nagged at me.
This year she turned 4 and she showed no signs of giving up her beloved cup. I tried to make myself feel better, telling myself that she only used it to go to sleep. We weren't hurting anyone, right?!? I knew better though. Even though she drinks Pr0pel in her cup, it still wasn't good for her teeth. I was at a loss though. I'd never had to wean a baby off of a bottle before.

About 2 weeks ago, I was out shopping with my mom & sister. We had stopped at Party city to look at party supplies for Ella's birthday. While we were there, my sister found some sports bottles with super heroes on them that she wanted to buy for her boys. My mom thought it would be a good gift for all of the grandkids, so she bought sports bottles for the youngest 7. They only had 2 Ariel and 1 princess for the girls; since Evie loves Ariel, I thought she'd want that one. I gave Emory the pink one.
The girls were really excited about them. Emory kept trying to snag the Ariel one and Evie decided that she wanted the pink one. And that was the end of her love affair with the sippy cup. She hasn't used one or asked for one since. I'm thinking that I need to go pick up about 10 more as back-ups. ;)

Whew, now that was easy!

No comments:

Post a Comment