My last belly shot @ 39 weeks, 1 day

Dr. H came in about 7:30 to break my water, but my nurse was still getting all my info. into the computer. He was not too thrilled about that since he had to be in surgery. So that kind of got everything off to a slow start.
Around 8, she finally started getting all of my monitors on. And after two sticks (OUCH!), she got my IV started around 8:15.
She did my first internal around 8:25. I was 3-4 cm dilated, 1 station, 50% effaced. At 8:30, the Pitocin was started. She warned me that my sensitivity to Pitocin could vary from delivery to delivery.
My nurse deserves a reward for putting up with this baby. She had the worst time keeping her on the monitor. She couldn't leave the room until she had a good heart rate reading on her and every time I moved, we lost it. She probably spent 30 minutes off/on dealing with it. She said that a lot of it was her positioning; she was most likely facing outwards with her hands and feet in front of her body, spine to spine with Mommy.
Dr. H finally came in and broke my water around 9:05. She was still incredibly high and the nurse had to push down on my stomach so he could reach it. Wow, that was super painful. While he was doing that, she also had him put an internal monitor on her. Again, lots of pushing & pain. I was 4cm, -1 station, 70% effaced.
Our biggest challenge was Eliza's positioning. She was not turned right, so I spent most of the day flipping from one side to the other. Anne was in about every 15-30 minutes increasing my pitocin. I had the worst back labor this time and I think that's because she was sunny side up. At the 11:45 internal check, I was 5cm. I had my epidural put in around noon. Hubby showed up shortly after that.
Things were going pretty slow. Elz was just not turning like she needed to. Dr. H and Anne were both sure that once she got into the right position that things would go quickly. I was getting close to maxing out the Pitocin and Anne said after the next check, we might have to reevaluate where to go next.
I was kind of feeling something but it didn't really feel like pressure. The nurse was noticing some excitement on Eliza's heart monitor and wanted to check me. At 2:20, I was 10 cm. Of course, my husband had left to find something to drink and I was so sure he was going to miss her birth (just like Em's). Luckily, Dr. H was in the middle of another delivery, so he made it back before the doctor came in.
Around 2:37, Dr. H came in and started getting into his gear. Anne kept wanting to do a test push, but he kept saying "NO, we don't test push with this one until I'm suited up". I started pushing at 2:42; 2 pushes and 4 minutes later, she was born at 2:46pm. She was a girl (WHEW!) and she was the spitting image of Ella. She had dark black hair, rosebud lips and she was pink & alert. She also weighed the exact same as Ella. She tied Em in length.
She's here!

8 pounds, 1 ounces, 20.5 inches

As soon as she was cleaned up, Anne brought her to me. She stuck her in my gown and I was able to snuggle with her for quite awhile. She was also able to nurse and did great with that too. We found out right away that her plumbing worked just fine. She pooped all over my gown and pee'd all over my sister. HA!
The girls are pretty smitten with her.

Ella came in and was trying so hard not to cry. She started telling me that after they left, they were going to get her bag to spend the night with aunt B and she burst into tears. Daddy talked to the nurses and they allowed her to stay the night with us. Luckily, Evie and Emory were gung-ho about going to spend the night with their cousins. She was a huge help and kept track of when she nursed and her diaper changes.
Night 2, we thought she should go home and there were a lot of tears when she left. It was short lived though; the girls and Nana were cooking up a little surprise for when we came home. Hubby and I were able to have a nice dinner & some quiet time; I think he slept pretty well, but Eliza and I were woken up several times that night.
I was going pretty stir crazy on Wednesday and I was SO ready to go home. It took way longer than I would have liked, but we were finally packed up and ready to leave by 3:15.

This has been another amazing experience. I just want to hold her and love on her 24/7. I know I'm going to regret it when she's spoiled and wants to be held all of the time, but I'm trying to soak all of this up. She's it and those first weeks/months/years go by so fast. I about burst into tears at a pregnancy test commercial yesterday because I won't ever use one again. I know we're done, but I think there will always be a part of me that wants just one more.
Today is my due date, but she's been here almost a week already. I can't imagine my life without her. She is the best baby; she's sleeping great, we've finally gotten our rhythm with nursing, she's pooping & burping like a champ, what more could I ask for?
My recovery has been a little slow going this time around; I'm definitely not bouncing back as quickly and the pain is stronger. I'm able to care for Eliza and partially myself, but my mom is taking up a lot of slack with my older 3. I feel so guilty about that, but I hope it's short lived.
Welcome to our family sweet Eliza! You'll never know how much joy you've brought us. We love you so much!

* My oldest just pointed out to me that I no longer have 3 girls. I guess I need to do some updating! HA!
No comments:
Post a Comment